Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Converting Mp3 To Guitar Tab?

Defualt User Imagenovice
4:20 am Saturday
October 11, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hello Members

It´s been a while since I visited. I was working on a little guitar piece some months ago. It´s original, in so far as my being heavily influenced by Spanish Baroque Guitar goes...lol

Anyway...it´s quite simple in ways, but also technically quirky. So, I recorded it in Mp3 format and would like to find a lazy way of converting the sound to Guitar Tab format...whether through a gp or ptb file. If not, what is the process of converting it to Midi, and converting it through a Midi format to gp or ptb?. I am Midi illiterate, so please be patient. Thanks Smile
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:27 pm Saturday
October 11, 2008
Hi novice,

I don´t know of how you could convert an mp3 to tab directly however there are a lot of mp3/wav to midi applications out there. The primary use for these types of applications is to create ringtones so I would not expect too much from them. Its been a few years since I tried using these and at that time they were pretty crappy.... they might be better now though.

When I search for this most of the mp3 to midi apps cost something. Here is a link to a free wav to midi converter that might be helpful. http://www.tucows.com/preview/327319.html

Really if you want to do a good tab its best to do it by ear and use a tab app to write it down with.
Defualt User Imagenovice
4:09 am Saturday
October 25, 2008
Thanks Mike for your reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Well, I d/loaded the program you suggested, but haven´t had a chance to explore it yet. However, my curiosity is piqued by your suggestion of using a ´Tab App´. Which is the best for a beginner...like for ´Dummies´? Thanks again Smile
User Imagejeremy
2:38 am Monday
October 27, 2008
Well, Power Tab is free and easy to use...
http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:28 am Friday
October 31, 2008
Yeah Powertabs is the way to go. GuitarPro is great too but not free.
Defualt User Imagenovice
4:05 am Saturday
November 1, 2008
Help Again Please

Thank You Mike and Jeremy for your suggestions. @Mike, your help once more please. I tried the Midi program with a free trial of Guitar Pro. A lot of hours trying to get my head around the whole deal Guitar

I keep coming up with a ´flight of the bumble bee´ speed guitar output. What parameters should I use in that Midi program? I can´t get my head around the ´Help File´. I´m getting close to it I feel, but just some pointers will see me through. Thanks again for all your input guys! Smile