Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

pentatonic solo battle.

User ImageTerry
8:12 pm Sunday
May 24, 2009
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
check it out.
for the longest time i have always heard..."it doesn´t matter how many notes you can play, its how you use the notes" and to an extent that is true.
so unlike the battles ive seen on here before, i think it would be interesting to maybe set down some rules.

one: pick one major or minor scale or mode to stay in for the duration of the song.
two: find a common cord progression that you both have to use, like a control in an experiment...and so on and so forth...
it doesn´t have to be penta but its just an idea.
do i have any takers? Huh
User ImageTerry
8:13 pm Sunday
May 24, 2009
also, any other ideas are welcome for this duel...
so shoot. Thumbs Up
Defualt User ImageRg5ex1
8:40 pm Sunday
May 24, 2009
HOw long

How long u gonna give me to prep and whaat is the genre, i vote a non metal it can be rock jazz blues anyhting but metal< hows about it?
User ImageTerry
9:31 pm Sunday
May 24, 2009
well, preparation for this should not take long...
how about we chose a standard 6 2 5 progression, like a blues/jazz thing and go from there...
if you need accommodation i can provide a backing track with drums and guitar and bass and shoot the tracks in a email...
or, you can make your own, just an offer.
all we need is a key.
i say the progression should be, 1-#1-1-4-1-6-2-5-1-aug4, or something like that, just so its not completely a bland progression.
but its totally up for discussion, so let me know what you think. Thumbs Up
User ImageTerry
12:41 am Monday
May 25, 2009
whos gonna do this?
it´ll be fun as hell.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:54 am Monday
May 25, 2009
I´m up for a duel but it will have to be with a track I already have recorded. I will not be able to record unit I reload windows.... Long story short my A/D converter is messed up and I have not been able to record for about two months.

START RANT:
CursingCursing
This problem has happened once before and reloading windows fixed it but my recording stuff is connected to a computer that is also used for a lot of my web stuff so fixing this means a day of loading software packages setting up environments and a whole BIG thing so I´ve been doing without recording abilities, which also means I have to wear headphones when I want to here audio because my speaker are connected to the mixer and computer needs the A/D converter to the connect to the mixer.
Cursing Cursing
END RANT: Sorry... Smile
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:03 am Monday
May 25, 2009
I got one...

I recorded this a while ago, the idea was to create song where the lead line was entirely played on the B string.

How about that challenge?
User ImageTerry
2:06 am Monday
May 25, 2009
dude...
then lets duel. we dont have to use this idea, im down to play some guitar.
what do you have in mind? Thumbs Up
User ImageTerry
2:07 am Monday
May 25, 2009
just the b string huh...sure, lets do it.
User ImageTerry
2:15 am Monday
May 25, 2009
hey mike...set it up with your mp3 and ill come up with something by tomorrow or the next day...it being memorial day and i have to pig out on bbq food and beer...heh. Thumbs Up
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:50 am Monday
May 25, 2009
Right on... I´m on it.
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:31 am Monday
May 25, 2009
Alright... Duel posted. Smile

Have at ye! Razz
User Imagejeremy
7:14 am Monday
May 25, 2009
If nobody gets on that by tonight I might give it a shot.
User ImageTerry
4:05 pm Monday
May 25, 2009
witch one...the penta idea or the one string? Guitar
User Imagejeremy
4:36 pm Monday
May 25, 2009
Um... oh, I think I was referring to the one string duel that Mike has posted up but I am into the pent thing as well. I´ll probably chump it and not post anything tonight anyway. But maybe tomorrow.
User ImageTerry
4:38 pm Monday
May 25, 2009
hell ya...do it up main! Guitar
Defualt User ImageRg5ex1
11:38 am Tuesday
May 26, 2009
Its on

Id like the same back track u are gonna use my email is patrickpeters8@yahoo.com
And Lets Just Make the progression in the key of E maybe but in any fashion that would fit the back track, whether its 1-4-5 or 1-6-7-6-1 i dont not care Dance
User ImageTerry
1:18 pm Tuesday
May 26, 2009
ill post it tonight probably late...
and i will send you an email of the tracks...
what are you using to record with man?
User ImageTerry
10:55 pm Tuesday
May 26, 2009
dude...i went out to where me and my buddy have a studio, and recorded my duel track...and FORGOT TO BRING ANY CD´S!!!!!!!
so i will post it tomorrow.
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:26 am Wednesday
May 27, 2009
Hey no rush man... Take your time Smile
Defualt User ImageRg5ex1
11:41 am Wednesday
May 27, 2009
Just A simple line 6 backtrack so the quality will be decent but not perfect, what format do the uploaded files have to be in??? Guitar
User ImageTerry
2:09 pm Wednesday
May 27, 2009
16 or 24 bit digidesings tracks...or pro tools format 24 bit.
but, all that i need to do is burn the cd, convert it to mp3 on this computers i tunes, and post.
i have no internet where my little studio is, thats what made me a little upset. lol Wink
to send the consolidated tracks to you all i need to do is have some sort of info disk, like a dvd r. and shoot you the one file. then you can just play along...so just hold on, i made a list of erins to do today and ill have it up by sundown... Thumbs Up
User Imagejeremy
8:05 pm Wednesday
May 27, 2009
Is this backing track gonna be downloadable from somewhere or can you just email it? I´d like to get into this. It´s gonna take multiple duels I think.
User ImageTerry
11:55 pm Wednesday
May 27, 2009
my probation officer called me today and said they didn´t have some document and i had to spend all day f@#*ing with those assholes...so i didn´t get to go over there....but,

i will just send the files in an email to everyone who wants them, since i have no domain to post them.

give me your email, if i don´t already have it and i will send it to you tomorrow.

I decided on a jazzy little cover of Wind Cry´s Mary, its a little slower and very pentatonic friendly...its in G. the chord progression allows you to play in major, or minor penta. Thumbs Up
trust me, you´ll have a lot of fun with this one. Guitar
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:43 am Thursday
May 28, 2009
You can upload the file through the media manager onto GKN and post the link here if that is easier. THe only restriction you would be faced with is the file has to be under 3 mb.
User Imagejeremy
4:50 am Thursday
May 28, 2009
Well, either way is cool for me. I sent my email to Pizzle.
User ImageTerry
1:23 pm Thursday
May 28, 2009
i´ll send the files out tonight for sure.
it will be late cuz i got a gig... Thumbs Up
User Imagejeremy
7:49 pm Thursday
May 28, 2009
Nice. I think I´m gonna do that single string ´tar lead too since no one stepped up. In fact, I might record it tonight even though I´ll be at work all night. I should start a new thread about my new toy. I think I will...
User ImageTerry
3:50 am Friday
May 29, 2009
i can post this duel more than once...just for fun´s sake.
so if you didnt get to duel this time let me know.
ill accept any friendly competition that comes my way, after all im just a student of music trying to learn from my peers, and im pretty competitive ha ha ha ha... Very happy . Thumbs Up
User Image1Eddy213
6:10 pm Wednesday
October 21, 2009
I´ll play you in G pentatonic/blues scale solo-type thing.
Woah Cool! 100th post in this forum