Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

lead guitar playing

User ImageTerry
5:21 pm Wednesday
October 7, 2009
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
i have dueled alot on here and realized that my phrasing is based around 8 to 12 bar solos. i have a hard time doing anymore than that and coming up with anything interesting.(or that i wont undo and do again and again until i reach that decision heh)
i just have a hard time hearing vocal melody´s and other lines that would be melodic because, i have been a rock/metal guitar player who grew up in a time that soloing just wasn´t cool to put in songs. so i get like 30 seconds to shine or suck! lol.
i feel i need some instruction solely for inspiration. as to get me on the right track as far as playing a 5 min solo.(and not putting people to sleep)

any criticism is very welcome.
thanks dudes. Guitar
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:04 am Friday
October 9, 2009
I think your lead playing is good. After 30 seconds or so it does because hard to make something continue to be interesting... Don´t know if I pull it off myself Blush.

In any case, I think listening to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Greg Howe, and a few of the other instrumental biggies would help. Also here are a few other ideas that might help in this regard....

1) Don´t Blow Your Wad Too Soon: If you know the track you are playing over is long don´t just jump in and play your most killer licks right up front, take your time and work up to that.
2) Have One Section of the Solo Planned Out Before Hand: I very rarely have my solos written or planned out in anything more than basic idea but if it is a track I´ve played over a few times I most likely tried to setup one sections of the song that is different than that rest... Its a bridge of sorts but the whole song need not change it can just be the melody line.
3) Vibrato is Your Friend: I almost never play a non-bending or contacting note for more than a half a second... My strings are always moving when a note is being held for any length of time. The changes in pitch can be done either as a action with the whammy bar or through bend and unbending the strings. I tend to to play whole sections where I use a lot of string vibrato and then switch it up by using the whammy bar. I alternate between the to ways through out a piece... In sections where I am using one method (lets say whammy bar) I still through in the string vibrato and in section where I´m using string vibrato I will still through in a little whammy bar action. Guitar

Anyway these are just a couple of ideas I have on the subject... If you have not already thought of them, they might be helpful.
User ImageHighintel
12:50 am Friday
October 9, 2009
Take one of these daily Wink

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ewnf_scott-henderson-melodic-phrasing_music
User ImageTerry
1:56 am Friday
October 9, 2009
damn...its true.
its so easy to get caught up in the little game guitar players play with the who can play faster than the other.
thanks chums! Guitar
User ImageMike Lindyn
7:32 pm Friday
October 9, 2009

This is soooo 80´s. I haven´t seen this thing is years. Great video though. Its all about the phrasing. Guitar
User ImageHighintel
9:52 pm Friday
October 9, 2009
ha! Glad somebody watched it!

It really does have the secret that Terry is looking for. I would of said the same thing but why not hear it from the Horses mouth ya know. Besides, why Plagiarize the statements of the man teaching you to plagiarize rythmic phrases from songs best known..lol

I tried it with the door knock phrase. Ya know,

knock-knock knock knock-knock---knock-knock....lol It´s pretty cool.

Scott has an REH video well worth purchasing. It was on youtube but he asked everyone to take it down so I , I mean, They did............:O

It´s all about the Rhythmic and melodic combination of phrases.

LEARN LOTS OF THEM!!!!! Guitar

Also learn some Traditional Idioms like 2-5 Idiomatic phrasing.
(Sid Jacobs has a good book on Jazz stuff Wink)