Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

market research...

User Imagejeremy
4:13 am Tuesday
October 20, 2009
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Hey,

I´m looking for a little market research help for a school project. I figure Mike or Highintel might be able to help me out with this since you dudes are internet guitar instructors. If anybody else has any information to share then I´d appreciate reading your ideas about the following:

What would you say is the typical age, sex, or income of the members of the primary market for people looking for guitar lessons?

I´m sure that you guys track your sites so… what areas of the world would you say contain the majority of people looking for online guitar lessons?

Also… what type of interests and lifestyles would a lot of these people have?

Thanks for helping me with my homework! Thumbs Up
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:12 am Wednesday
October 21, 2009
Quote From jeremy:
What would you say is the typical age, sex, or income of the members of the primary market for people looking for guitar lessons?
The average age of GKN members is 32.58 years. Sex is overwhelmingly male... There are only a handful of women on this site. I have no real way of knowing income data although I would say middle class and higher. (Suburb kids)

Quote From jeremy:
I´m sure that you guys track your sites so… what areas of the world would you say contain the majority of people looking for online guitar lessons?

Tabs are big... Lessons on Modes... Here at GKN the chord progression builder is VERY popular. More people go to that than just about anything else on the site. Some of the other tools like the scale in tabs and the fullfretboard finder also get a lot of views.

Quote From jeremy:
what type of interests and lifestyles would a lot of these people have?

Most are into metal.
That´s about all I have for this one.

Hope these help.

Off topic FYI: I have not been around that much over the past few weeks because of a couple of deadlines I´m facing. I´ll have most of that stuff done in the next couple of weeks and will be up for more duels or whatever then... Right now I check the board daily for fires or what have you but may not have time to post.
User Imagejeremy
3:58 am Wednesday
October 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply. The demographic stuff you shared will help. It´s funny though... for the second one I was asking about geographic location (areas of the world) but you´re talkin´ about areas of your site that get hit. I think getting data for the last thing is gonna be the toughest. It´s like... how do you collect data about people´s lifestyles and stuff? I sent some emails to Guitar World and Berklee about this. Hopefully they can give me some data.

Thanks, man!
User ImageMike Lindyn
11:26 am Wednesday
October 21, 2009
Ah... I was wonder if you you talking about geographic location or interests.

As far as geographic locations... Most are from the US (75%).

Here are the top 6 locations.
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Canada
4. Germany
5. Spain
6. Australia

User Imagejeremy
7:41 pm Thursday
October 22, 2009
Nice. Berkleemusic.com replied to me. I was surprised that they gave me any information because I figured that it would be proprietary or that they wouldn´t give any info for free ´cause... info is money, you know? But they did tell me that their students are generally between 35 and 50 and they hail outta 99 countries. So that´s interesting. The average age of a GKN´er is in that bracket. I think I´m onto some accurate info over here. Berklee didn´t list the countries like you did so you´re cooler than they are. I´m gonna check the tracking data on my site to see if I get a majority of hits from any of the same countries that you do.

Thanks, Mike!