Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

im new to the guitar and need advice

User Imageguitarrokks100
10:14 pm Sunday
December 19, 2010
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
so i really want to master the guitar. i have an acoustic right now and so i wanted to get as much advice or knowledge on how to play, history of the acoustic guitar, diferent styles, types, etc.vso if you have anything that you think i should know feel free to tell me. if i already "know" something i will consider your thoughts and if they are the same as mine then it means im doing this right haha. Peace Guitar
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:08 pm Monday
December 20, 2010
Hi rokks,

Congrats on starting to play the acoustic guitar it´s a great instrument that is both beautiful and versatile. I play nylon string and steel string acoustics myself and while these are, generally speaking, the same instrument they are distinct enough that I kind of consider them different instruments.

Different styles of acoustic music and the history of acoustic guitar are VERY big subjects. However if I were to try and sum it in a couple of players, it would be the guys below:

Jimmy Page - Rock player: There are tons of great Led Zeppelin acoustic tracks: Over the Hills and Far Away, Babe I´m going to Leave You, and of course Stairway. Alot of what I hear on the radio today still sounds like elements of what Page did decades ago.

Chet Atkins - Finger style player: He played with EVERYBODY in his day. Played guitar using fingerpicks and most modern finger pickers owe this guy. Just about anything he does is technically incredible.

Andrés Segovia - Classical Player: This guy brought the acoustic guitar to prominence in classical music. Although the Lute was used before Segovia very few classical songs were written for the guitar.

Each of the players above changed the way people thought of guitar, the style of music they played, and their music is still influential today.

Here are links to a couple of GKN lessons that might help you:
1) This lesson covers the first 5 things a guitarists should know: http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/gkn_member_lessons.php?lesson_id=25

2) Here is a lesson on finger picking and more importantly the Travis Picking technique that is used by many acoustic guitarists (this picking pattern can be used with or without a pick): http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/lessons/lesson_page.php?lesson=16

Hope some of this rant was useful. Let me know if you have questions about any of it or anything else.

Mike

PS Welcome to GKN!!! Guitar
User Imagejeremy
4:32 am Friday
December 24, 2010
Luckily, you´re starting to learn the guitar at a time when there are great resources like this site to learn a wealth of information about the guitar. GKN is good place to start and keep coming back to. I still haven´t covered everything that Mike has on here. Of course, there are a million other guitar sites but I think this is a really good one.

My advice is to just pick one thing (like the CAGED system for example) and just work on it to death. Until you have it completely mastered. And take a cue from Steve Vai... don´t even let yourself go make a sandwich until you master something that you´re working on. Sometimes I tend to hop around from one thing to another on the guitar without mastering one thing. It´s better when I finish what I´m trying to achieve before moving on to something else... or eating a sandwich.
User ImageT.A.Z
12:03 pm Tuesday
February 15, 2011
The guys have started nicely here mate, these people really know what they´re talking about!!

I agree with my own guitar idol and learnt the same way without even knowing who he was!! His advice is to learn what you want! If you go to a teacher and he starts showing you how to play Happy Birthday you ain´t probably gonna be interested, so it´s important if you go to a teach (which is definately worth doing) that you pick one that will show you how to play the stuff that you WANT to play.

Equally, when searching around the internet and asking on sites like this, people will absolutely give you ideas and will 9/10 times give you good ones, but it´s important to play what YOU like and not what people say you should learn.

Don´t get me wrong though, when you learn this stuff, as your learning you want to be looking at the contruction of the chords, the scales, the key and whatever music theory may apply. You´ll eventually find that you want o improvise or make your own songs and what-not, at this point you´ll want to know how your favourite songs have been constructed.

Like Jeremy has mentioned, the CAGED system is a simple principle but a fantastic one, and if your interested in learning some basic theory this is a great place to start!!

Keep coming back man, we´ll always be here to help you out!!
User ImageBillyJack
8:57 am Tuesday
February 22, 2011
If you really want to "master" the guitar? Then I have one word for you: WHY! Not "Why do you want to learn", that´s obvious to everyone on this sight. The "why" I´m talking about is:
Why does song (A) have this feel and song (B) feel different.
Why does practicing the scales over and over till my fingers bleed make me a better player when they don´t really sound like music.
Why does playing this combination of notes make this or that chord.

A musician, not to be confused with someone that just likes to play, has to be trained PERIOD! If you want to "MASTER" the guitar, find you a credited, classically trained guitarist and learn the boring stuff. Make the study of music your passion! I know many MANY guitar players that learned to play systems, chord patterns and their favorite songs, that are not musicians. You can be impressive at a camp fire playing cool licks from your favorite songs, but to truly master the craft it takes years of training your hands, mind, ears and soul.

That can sound a bit tedious and scary, but so is jumping off a cliff. Thing is once you make the jump, you find nature takes over and if you´re prepared, it´s an exhilarating feeling that once experienced, you can´t live without it.
User ImageT.A.Z
12:38 pm Wednesday
February 23, 2011
Quote From BillyJack:
If you really want to "master" the guitar? Then I have one word for you: WHY! Not "Why do you want to learn", thats obvious to everyone on this sight. The "why" Im talking about is:
Why does song (A) have this feel and song (B) feel different.
Why does practicing the scales over and over till my fingers bleed make me a better player when they dont really sound like music.
Why does playing this combination of notes make this or that chord.

A musician, not to be confused with someone that just likes to play, has to be trained PERIOD! If you want to "MASTER" the guitar, find you a credited, classically trained guitarist and learn the boring stuff. Make the study of music your passion! I know many MANY guitar players that learned to play systems, chord patterns and their favorite songs, that are not musicians. You can be impressive at a camp fire playing cool licks from your favorite songs, but to truly master the craft it takes years of training your hands, mind, ears and soul.

That can sound a bit tedious and scary, but so is jumping off a cliff. Thing is once you make the jump, you find nature takes over and if youre prepared, its an exhilarating feeling that once experienced, you cant live without it.

I partly disagree sorry mate.

Whilst I completely agree that if you want to MASTER the guitar this is the route that you want to take (although you can do it yourself), I think, and this is just my opinion, that you need to find that passion for yourself.

You can´t just think "I want to learn to play the guitar" and simply dedicate your life, especially your early days, to learning everything. I want to do that but when I started I wanted to learn to rock out! I believe the best way to learn and play the guitar is to play what you want, one day you might well think to yourself, WHY? as Billyjack explained above. THAT´s the point where you need to start looking and learning, WHEN YOU WANT TO.

As I say, just my opinion lol
User ImageBillyJack
3:23 pm Wednesday
February 23, 2011
Quote From T.A.Z:
I partly disagree sorry mate.

Whilst I completely agree that if you want to MASTER the guitar this is the route that you want to take (although you can do it yourself), I think, and this is just my opinion, that you need to find that passion for yourself.

You can´t just think "I want to learn to play the guitar" and simply dedicate your life, especially your early days, to learning everything. I want to do that but when I started I wanted to learn to rock out! I believe the best way to learn and play the guitar is to play what you want, one day you might well think to yourself, WHY? as Billyjack explained above. THAT´s the point where you need to start looking and learning, WHEN YOU WANT TO.

As I say, just my opinion lol
A lot of people do disagree, but as you said you started out wanting to "Rock out". If that´s your goal, then you are correct. The key to the OPs statement though was to "Master the guitar" and no matter how many licks, tricks or systems you learn, you will never master it without knowing the "why". Now I´m a bit obsessive, as some on here can attest to, but to me if you do not know the answers to the "WHY", you´ve mastered nothing. You might be an awesome copycat and make people go "WWOooo" with your talents, but you´re no Master.
User ImageT.A.Z
11:45 am Thursday
February 24, 2011
No I agree with that mate, it´s just that unless that´s what you want to do your not going to be interested, if you know what I mean. Wanting to learn everything to it´s fullest, the "why?" and "Why not?", is something I think you need to discover for yourself.
Defualt User ImageCMartin
11:37 pm Thursday
March 10, 2011
Hey, I am using free piano lessons, which will show you how you can become the player of your dreams through a technique using chords and a combination of chord progressions and fun playing styles using your ear and your brain.. Wink

Hope this will helps you too..!!!

http://www.freepianolesson.com/
User Imagejeremy
8:09 pm Friday
March 11, 2011
That´s kinda cool. My future step-daughter is taking piano lessons. I should check this site out and see if she could benefit from it.