Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Gear Section

User ImageT.A.Z
11:27 am Saturday
October 22, 2005
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
After reading through the topic in the gear forum i thought id make a suggestion.

I thought it might be a good idea to maybe add a section on the main page, with information on pro's & con's of using certain woods/pups/set-ups/etc.etc.

I just it may be a good addition to your site.
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:34 am Sunday
October 23, 2005
Hey WildSide,

I've been thinking about adding a gear section for some time now but I'm not highly knowledgeable in this area. I think it would be hard for me to put this section together by myself. And of course if I were to do this I would want to do it right. I think it could be really cool if done correctly but it would be a lot of work too.

Making a section that explains the pros and cons various woods, options, and designed would help a lot of people.

The way I've envisioned this project would require the collection of four or five key ideas for bunch of wood types, accessories, and guitar styles. I wouldn't want to be reviewing actual gear but rather talking about advantages and disadvantages of a general piece of hardware, body style or the wood used in a guitar. For example I wouldn't want to review the 2005 strat but I might have a section that explores the advantages and disadvantages of a strat compared to other guitar types.

I am interested in doing something like this but I would need help with it. I still haven't even gotten around to finishing harmonic minor for the Scales in Tab section. I have a new job that is taking up a lot of my time now. But I could pull this together pretty quick if I had the information I need about it.

let me know if this make sense.

Mike
User ImageNate
4:09 am Sunday
October 23, 2005
Yeah that makes alot of sense to me Mike.

It's definately sounds like a cool project and it's one that anyone can contribute to. I know a "fair" bit about that sort of stuff so I'd be glad to help! I think it's something though that shouldn't be rushed. We should let you finish up the stuff you're working on and whatnot and whenever you have time, we can slowly start working on it. No hurry Mike!

Talk to you later.
User ImageMike Lindyn
5:01 am Sunday
October 23, 2005
Yeah if you guys would be willing to help I think we could get it up there. There are some design ideas I've been wanting to try out and this might give me the area to try them.

Anyone who would like to be envolved should feel free to contribute. I'll throw up some topic ideas after I have time to think this out a bit.
User ImageNate
4:54 pm Sunday
October 23, 2005
Sounds cool Mike, no hurry though, take your time man!!
User ImageT.A.Z
12:54 pm Friday
October 28, 2005
Yeah i got all that mike, its exactly what i was thinking.

If you'd like some info on woods, a magazine over here in the uk has a little section called 'Got wood?', and it basically highlights information on a certain wood type each month. It answers different questions about them, such as; where does it come from?, what does it look like etc. but it does answer what does it sound like. so if you'd like me to send you the info from them then i can type those up for you and email them.
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:13 am Sunday
November 6, 2005
I have been thinking about this section a lot. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I'll check out that got wood section what is the name of the magazine its in?

I have a lot on my plate right now but that's only stopping me from doing the research. I'll start by working on the layout and general concept of how the information will be presented.

I wouldn't mind incorperating more 3d design project as well. Will see what time allows.
User ImageNate
4:16 am Sunday
November 6, 2005
Sounds awesome Mike!