Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

TEACHING

User Imagejeremy
5:44 am Monday
December 19, 2005
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Im considering teaching a guitar group at a middle school. Im not really sure how many kids are in it or what their skill levels are so far but Im wondering what kind of curriculum would I wanna take these kids through? Im a self-taught dude. I learned a little bit about theory and modes an stuff like that but not so much. I know enough about that stuff that I could learn more about it if I had to though. Ive been playing for over 20 years and I know a lot of songs that I could teach them and Im fully into guitar solos so I could teach them that kinda stuff. Do you guys think that I could just teach them how to play songs/solos by ear or tab or do you think that it would be better to weigh into the theory more than I have at this point so that I can teach them that stuff?

Thanks for your thoughts.
User ImageBillyJack
8:13 am Monday
December 19, 2005
This sounds like it would be good opportunity to do a little theory training for yourself while instructing the student. There's a kick ass theory book called "Practical THEORY Complete, A SELF-INSTRUCTION MUSIC THEORY COURSE" by Sandy Feldstein that I'd recommend for just such a setting. It is laid out in 3~4 pages of study that take about 5 minutes a page to learn and then a review quiz. The whole book is laid out this way. Really simple and easy to use and understand.

If it were me, I'd break my time up into 3 parts.
1st) Music Theory = 20% of your allotted time. {tested weekly}
2nd) Getting to know the Guitar = 30% of your allotted time. {tested weekly} (Notes on the neck, tuning, things of that nature)
3rd) Beginners jam session = 50% of your allotted time. {No testing just play} (Simple melodies then basic chording of songs)

I laid this out assuming you will have between 30 minutes to an hour of lesson time.
User Imagejeremy
8:06 pm Monday
December 19, 2005
Thanks, man... sounds good. I just looked at that book on Amazon and scored it. I agree that it is time for me to beef up my own skills too.

Thanks.
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:20 pm Monday
December 19, 2005
Do it. Taching kids is great and at that age they will think you can walk on water if you teach them to play. Very rewarding.
User Imagejeremy
12:00 am Tuesday
December 20, 2005
Word. I've taught kids in my family before as well as some of their friends and it's always been a cool experience. I know in this situation it's gonna be a lot different though. I'm gonna hafta be more organized and prepared for it.
User Imagejeremy
11:59 pm Tuesday
January 24, 2006
I wanted to report that I got that book that was suggested and it's fully tight. I'm making my way through it now. I don't know if I'm gonna be teaching yet this year. But I'm gonna make sure that I'm ready with this reading stuff whenever the opportunity arises to teach. Might not happen until next school year.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Defualt User ImageLynx
1:22 am Wednesday
January 25, 2006
From the perspective of 40 years a guitar teacher, and Director of Music and Choirmaster at a private co-ed school:
Theory is all well and good, although most kids hate it.
You give 10 kids a guitar each in a classroom situation, and there are 30 kids in the class, within five minutes you will not only have fights over who gets to play it first, you will have a riot on your hands.
ou get kids to count beats out loud, and if they are high school kids and the hormones and young bull/old bull mindset has set in, within five minutes they will all start counting together, louder and LOUDER AND LOUDER AND FASTER AND FASTER AND THERE WILL BE DESK-THUMPING and FOOT-STOMPING AND..you guessed it..you got another riot on your hands Smile
Teaching guitar one-on-one is fine, controling a class of kids who for the most part would rather be somewhere else, is a whole new world..and a very nasty one at times.
User ImageBillyJack
7:23 am Wednesday
January 25, 2006
I'm glad to hear it fit the bill! When I first got the book it kind of reminded me of how my old chorus teacher explained things 30 years ago.

I have to disagree with you Lynx. Some of my fondest memories come from that class and I think part of the reason I enjoyed it so was because the teacher seemed to enjoy it so much. I guess a lot of that would have to deal with a persons charactor. I've never tought in a classroom environment except for a bunch of GIs doing job training so maybe I'm wrong but, I guess it would depend on what the individual gets out of being with the kids.
User Imagejeremy
5:33 am Saturday
August 5, 2006
I never did end up teaching that guitar class. But I have since learned a lot about notation and thanks to GKN and the forum I'm learning more and more about theory. So if and when the teaching option arises again I'll be ready.
User Imagejeremy
7:32 pm Friday
June 1, 2007
I've had this book on my desk at work for a month called GUITAR GRIMOIRE that up until right now I haven't even cracked open once. I think that I was thinking that the information from the book would somehow just go into my head even though I never opened it.
User ImageMike Lindyn
9:40 pm Friday
June 1, 2007
I don't know if reading it will help that much. The GUITAR GRIMOIRE is a great reference book but is not that good for learning the basics. There is a book called Scales and Mode in the Beginning that would help a lot more. Once you have the basics down a book like GUITAR GRIMOIRE can be very handy.
User Imagejeremy
10:55 pm Friday
June 1, 2007
I think that I have that book at home... the Scales and Modes one. I have a lot of books that I've collected through the years but never really opened. Now I'm starting to open them.
User Imagejeremy
5:09 pm Monday
May 25, 2009
I thought that I had an old thread where I talked about how I go into my girlfriend´s elementary class to teach the kids some guitar stuff but this thread was close enough.

My girl was teaching first grade the first couple of times I did this but now she´s teaching fourth grade. So the kids are a bit older. I´m supposed to go in tomorrow. It´s fun teaching little kids like that. They get so stoked when you come into the classroom. I´m hoping that I influence some of these kids to end up playing an instrument. That´s why I´m doing this. They get a chance to get up close to the guitar and touch it or play it if they want to or just watch me rip some stuff.
User ImageTerry
5:36 pm Monday
May 25, 2009
that sounds rad!!!!
i remember when we would get to see even a symphony come to elementary school, i was stoked!
i cant imagine a dude with cool guitars and an amp and stuff. Guitar
User Imagejeremy
8:02 pm Wednesday
May 27, 2009
Yeah, it was fun. I brought in one of my Stratocasters and my girl had her MusicMan (she´s a bass player). We played a couple songs together for the kids and I demonstrated how my effect pedals could change the sound and stuff. I know if I woulda got a chance to see an electric guitar up close like that I woulda been really into it when I was a kid so it´s cool to give these kids a chance to see that. They were stoked.
User ImageTerry
11:48 pm Wednesday
May 27, 2009
hell ya!!!
User ImageMike Lindyn
12:40 am Thursday
May 28, 2009
Yeah its really cool that you are still doing this. I´m sure the kids think it cool as anything. Dude, you rock Guitar
User ImageSarcasm Society
3:06 pm Friday
July 17, 2009
i wish i had something like at my school
User Imagejeremy
11:05 pm Sunday
July 19, 2009
That kinda thing should be at every school. Back in the 70´s when I was in grade school I actually hated music. The reason for that was that music class sucked. We didn´t play instruments or watch anybody play instruments. We sat there and learned how to read music without playing anything. It´s like, how is that gonna get a kid´s interest? Also, my music teacher was kinda mean so that didn´t help. I know that there are some schools that don´t even have a music program because they can´t afford it. That´s the saddest thing of all.
User ImageTerry
10:55 am Monday
July 20, 2009
really!?!?!?!?
i had 8 periods unlike alot of my peers that had 6.
0 period i was in stage band and after school i was in marching band and i had 2 normal periods that were concert band and jazz band...
i loved band class, it was sooooooo much fun.
and there was alot of hot chicks in there.
my first girlfriend was a drummer in the line...lol! wow im a total music nerd!!!lmfao Guitar
User Imagejeremy
6:09 pm Monday
July 20, 2009
Nice. You went through that whole "band" thing in high school. They had programs like that at my high school too but not at the elementary/middle school that I went to.