Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

C-A-G-E-D Scales

Defualt User Imagemanintoy
3:40 am Sunday
December 30, 2007
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
can somebody help me play the scale i know the scale pattern but i don't know how to use them. any help would really appreciated thank you.
User ImageMike Lindyn
6:14 am Monday
December 31, 2007
Hi manintoy,

Sorry for the delayed replay I didn't see this post until tonight.

The C-A-G-E-D system is a method of teaching the 5 most common fingerings for the major scale. The Major Scale is a scale that can be used to create and play over many common chord progressions. This scale is the most commonly used scale and is the foundation to all music in western civilization. So asking how it can be use is kind of like asking how the alphabet can be used. I can give you an answer but only in the broadest of terms.

Perhaps the easiest way to use the major scale is to use it over chords played by another guitar player. So if you know the fingerings for the C-A-G-E-D system in the key of G Major and your buddy knows a few tunes that use the chords G - C - and D you are all set to jam!

In the beginning you just need to learn the fingerings and work with them a lot. As time goes on using these scales will become easy because your ear will develop more.

For for a fuller explanation of the major scale and it modes read this thread http://guitarknowledgenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10
10:44 pm Tuesday
January 8, 2008
thank you for your reply. ok here's anothe question i starts on Em ,Am so on and so fourth. should i start using my CAGED scale using Em Pentatonic DCAG are this in sequence. sorry for this dumb question i'm still learning. or should i start on Em pentatonic then go to Am pentatonic so on adn so fourth. thanks
User ImageMike Lindyn
2:56 pm Wednesday
January 9, 2008
Hi manintoy,

Actually switching from Em Pentatonic to Am Pentatonic would work. So would using the C-A-G-E-D system rooted on G or C. This is because Em is the relative minor to G & Am is the relative minor to C.

If these are the only two chords in the progression the following scales could be use:
Em Pentatonic
Am Pentatonic
G Major (which is also called the E Minor scale)
C Major (which is also called A Minor)

NOTE: You can switch between any of the scales above or just pick one and play only that one, either way it should sound pretty good.

Mike
7:30 pm Wednesday
January 9, 2008
can you combine CAGED scale and Mode.I noticed that Modes have the same pattern, but depends what mode are going to play if you start on CDEFG or A.thanks again.
User ImageMike Lindyn
8:43 am Thursday
January 10, 2008
Keep in mind that the CAGED system is just a way to remember the modes fingerings. That being said of course you can use the mode fingerings.

For the Em - Am progression you were talking about before try using these modes:
E Aeolian
or
A Dorian

then try these:
A Aeolian
or
E Lydian
3:28 pm Monday
January 14, 2008
how do i know if the music start with ionian or dorian ...locrian.but i know the 1st chord.thanks
User ImageMike Lindyn
10:43 pm Wednesday
January 16, 2008
There is really no way to tell. Its up to you. Both will work fine. It will get a little too deep to explain... it has to do with the relationship between the Em and Am (Perfect 4th / Perfect 5th relationship). Let me simply say that if you look at it like Em to Am then E Aeolian and/or A Dorian would work best. Otherwise if you think of it as Am to Em then it would be A Aeolian and/or E Phrygian.

But really any of the four will work. The reason why developing your ear is so important is sometimes there are many "correct" things (notes/scales/chords) that can be used but its up to you to find the one that is best for your situation.