Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

new bee here

Defualt User Imagebull_dog998
12:53 am Friday
January 18, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
hi my name is rick and i'm trying to learn the caged system i have a little knowledge but don't quite under stand it so far i have the C- SHAPE C-D-E-F-G-A-B,,,,, THE A SHAPE A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#,,, G SHAPE G-A-B-C-D-E-F-#-G,,,,, E SHAPE E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#,,,, THE D SHAPE D-E-F#-G-A-B-C# is this right ? and how do i use it and i love your site ,,,
User ImageMike Lindyn
1:34 am Saturday
January 19, 2008
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
Since I'm not really an advocate of the CAGED system I find it hard to give this advice.

The CAGED "system" isn't really a system its just a way to remember the 5 most commonly used mode fingerings. Thats it.

To tell the truth I think this method kind of limits students understanding of how chords interact with scales (or, said in a better way, how harmony interacts with melody).

What you wrote in your question:
"C- SHAPE C-D-E-F-G-A-B,,,,, THE A SHAPE A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#,,, G SHAPE G-A-B-C-D-E-F-#-G,,,,, E SHAPE E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#,,,, THE D SHAPE D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#"

These are just the notes in these particular keys:
Key Of C Major = C-D-E-F-G-A-B
Key Of A Major = A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#
Key Of G Major = G-A-B-C-D-E-F-#-G
Key Of E Major = E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#
Key Of D Major = D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#

The caged system is not really related to the notes in a particular key. You can use all 5 "Shapes" from the caged system in any key.

Let examine the CAGED system as it relates to the key of C Major (C-D-E-F-G-A-B). The "C Shape" in CAGED is related to the common open C Chord's shape. This shape is found in the common fingering for the Phryggian mode so in this case it would be E Phrygian (E-F-G-A-B-C-D). The A chord shape is found in the Mixolydian fingering, in the key of C this is case G Mixolydian (G-A-B-C-D-E-F). The G Shape is found in the fingering for Aeolian in the key of C this would mean A Aeolian (A-B-C-D-E-F-G). The E Shape is found in the Ionain Fingering in C Major this is (C-D-E-F-G-A-B). And finally the D shape is found in the Dorian fingering in the key of C this is D Dorian (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D).

Here are the fingerings for all the scales I talked about above. http://guitarknowledgenet.com/GKN_Tabs_Scales/scale_return.php?radiobutton=radiobutton01&scaleSelect=1&formselect=1&Submit=Get+Scales

Like I said this is not a system I would endorse. It is better just to learn the fingerings without thinking of them as "This scale is the chord shape". I also do really think these fingerings should be called be there mode names (but I'm not going into all that right now).

Hope this helped a little.