Home | Tools & Resources | Lessons | Guitar Duels | Messageboard | Member Profiles | Search | Log In

Recording

User ImageSarcasm Society
1:37 am Wednesday
July 15, 2009
Reply || Reply With Quote || Report
these "duels" seem awesome BUT i have no way to record anything any help? Puppy Eyes
User ImageMike Lindyn
3:29 am Wednesday
July 15, 2009
recording on a PC is pretty simple... If your machine is less than 10 years old its hardware should be able to handle it.

Software:
Personally I use Adobe Audition 1.5 for my multi-track recordings, Audition is up to version 3 or 4 now but I don´t really like any of them past version 2 (they changed something and it made me stop using the new versions of the application). I also use Sonar when I´m dealing with midi stuff like drum beats and such.

Hardware To Get Music Into Your Computer:
It will cost about $150-500 to make a very basic studio package. If you want to get the most out of your recording a A/D converter box and a 4 bus mixer are all you really need as far as hardware goes. For a little less money you could go with a POD or something like that but for overdubbing and latency issues you are better off with the mixer and A/D converter. I have not been looking into this stuff for a while now but if you are looking at a 4 bus mixer the Yamaha MG16/6 is great and very nicly priced (Its a 6 bus mixer)
User Imagejeremy
7:58 am Wednesday
July 15, 2009
If you want a low-cost alternative you can get the Line 6 GearBox Silver Bundle with Toneport DI USB interface. It comes with Gearbox but you can also download POD Farm Platinum for free once you have that. I´ve seen that as low as $65. Check it on Nextag... http://www.nextag.com/Line-6/recording-software/brand-html
Then just download Audacity for free http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download and you´re all set once you learn how to use everything. You can make decent guitar recordings with a simple setup like this. That´s kinda how I started.
User Imagejeremy
2:49 pm Friday
July 17, 2009
I remembered an even lower cost way for recording... if you have an old multi-effects pedal or practice amp that has a stereo out you can go to Radio Shack and get the necessary cables and connections (i.e. so that you have an 1/8" stereo male at the end to plug into your sound card) and just record your guitar into Audacity. That´s exactly how I started recording.